Apparently it was a great tradition because it has stuck with me. As Christmas creeps up on me, I find myself spending several nights baking and cooking away, slaving away in a hot kitchen (I have to make it sound somewhat uncomfortable, ya know so it doesn't sound like I enjoy it) to make delicious creations. I've obviously taken a family tradition and amped it up a little bit, Mom would never spend that many hours spread over several days...but, in all honesty I think my parents love the fact that I've embraced something from my childhood and ran with it (plus, they benefit from it, they have a box on its way to them as I type).
So, every year I pull out multiple recipes from my stash of ones I want to try, maybe some of my time tested ones, and get to work. This year I had a pretty big stack, but then I usually do. I worked in 2 phases, the first was for the mail, and the second was for town. Honestly, after I got done with the first phase, I said I was done and swore off any more holiday baking. But I just couldn't help myself! Plus, I got a very sneaky request from the people my brother works with when one lady grinned and asked if I still lived with him...nothing like hinting at the fact that she was looking forward to another installment of sugary goodness...and I just couldn't disappoint a fan. Now, the baking is done, most of the pots and pans and baking sheets are washed, dried, and put away, so I move onto the final, and probably most satisfying part of the process, the delivery. There's something so great about sharing things from the kitchen with family and friends. I personally like to see their faces light up when they open the door and there I am, or more likely see the goodies, but that's just our little secret. Obviously I don't do it for purely selfless reasons. Plus, I get recipes out of my "to try" stash, weed out the ones with ok results, and the keepers move into my recipe box. And, fortunately for my tastebuds and unfortunately for my waistline, I get to keep the left overs and "oops" cookies. Trust me, there are ALWAYS leftovers. Coincidence? I think not. But for the first time ever, I haven't put on any extra pounds this year...yet...so that's progress.
So, after much ado, here's this year's salute to the family tradition (of which most were keepers)!
Phase 1:
- Peanut Butter Popcorn Crunch
- Cinnamon Pecan Crunch
- Cinnamon Popcorn
- Cherry Chocolate Bark
- Chocolate Pretzel Rings (minus the rings)
- Butterscotch Hard Candy
- Chocolate Peanut Sweeties
- Toffee Fudge
- Butter Pecan Fudge
- Jerky Lover's Jerky
- Dog Bones (literally, for the dogs)
Phase 2:
- Rosettes
- Suger N Spice Cookies
- Coconut Pecan Bars
- Special Chocolate Treats
- Butterscotch Cashew Bars
- Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- Cherry Snowballs
- Peanut Butter Popcorn
- My Grandma's Orange Slice Cake
Here's to a warm and wonderful Christmas where we gather in the kitchen and enjoy one another's company. After all, the heart of a home is often found in the kitchen!
1 comment:
Wow . . . you have some list here! Did you get them all done?
Post a Comment